Association between general joint hypermobility and knee, hip, and lumbar spine osteoarthritis by race: a cross-sectional study.
Repository Usage Stats
BACKGROUND:Osteoarthritis (OA) prevalence differs by race. General joint hypermobility (GJH) may be associated with OA, but differences by race are not known. This community-based study examined the frequency of GJH and its relationship with knee, hip, and lumbar spine OA by race (African American vs. Caucasian). METHODS:Data were from the Johnston County OA project, collected 2003-2010. GJH was defined as Beighton score ≥4. OA symptoms were defined as the presence of pain, aching, or stiffness on most days separately at the knee, hip, and lower back. Radiographic OA (rOA) of the knee or hip was defined as Kellgren-Lawrence grade 2-4. Lumbar spine rOA was disc space narrowing grade ≥1 and osteophyte grade ≥2 in ≥ 1 at the same lumbar level. Lumbar spine facet rOA was present in ≥ 1 lumbar levels. Separate logistic regression models stratified by race were used to examine the association between hypermobility and rOA or OA symptoms at each joint site, adjusting for age, sex, previous joint injury, and body mass index (BMI). RESULTS:Of 1987 participants, 1/3 were African-American and 2/3 were women (mean age 65 years, mean BMI 31 kg/m2). Nearly 8% of Caucasians were hypermobile vs. 5% of African-Americans (p = 0.03). Hypermobility was associated with lower back symptoms in Caucasians (adjusted odds ratio (aOR) 1.54, 95% confidence interval (CI) 1.00, 2.39), but not in African-Americans (aOR 0.77, 95% CI 0.34, 1.72). Associations between hypermobility and other knee, hip, or lumbar spine/facet OA variables were not statistically significant. CONCLUSIONS:General joint hypermobility was more common in Caucasians than African-Americans. Although there were no associations between hypermobility and rOA, the association between hypermobility and lower back symptoms may differ by race.
Published Version (Please cite this version)10.1186/s13075-018-1570-7
Publication InfoFlowers, Portia PE; Cleveland, Rebecca J; Schwartz, Todd A; Nelson, Amanda E; Kraus, Virginia B; Hillstrom, Howard J; ... Golightly, Yvonne M (2018). Association between general joint hypermobility and knee, hip, and lumbar spine osteoarthritis by race: a cross-sectional study. Arthritis research & therapy, 20(1). pp. 76. 10.1186/s13075-018-1570-7. Retrieved from https://hdl.handle.net/10161/18049.
This is constructed from limited available data and may be imprecise. To cite this article, please review & use the official citation provided by the journal.
More InfoShow full item record
Associate Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery
Dr. Goode is an Associate Professor in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery. He is a physical therapist by clinical training and epidemiologist by scientific training. His focus is on understanding the etiology of low back pain and other chronic musculoskeletal conditions and improving the delivery of care for patients with acute and chronic musculoskeletal conditions. In his research he has published in the areas of the relationship between individual radiographic features in the lumbar s
Professor of Medicine
My special area of expertise is as a clinician scientist investigating osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis is the most common form of joint disease in man and its incidence increases with age. It is a problem of increasing concern to the medical community due to the increasing longevity of the population. Trained as a molecular biologist and a Rheumatologist, I endeavor to study this disease from bedside to bench. The work in this laboratory focuses on osteoarthritis and deals w
Alphabetical list of authors with Scholars@Duke profiles.